On 16 July 2018, I participated in a live show hosted by Nadia Aimé, founder of She Leads Digital, a Brussels-based NGO that is committed to empowering women through the use of technology and to promoting female participation in STEM and entrepreneurship. In this live talk, Nadia wanted to hear out our take on how women should dress for success in today's world. Other guests were personal stylist Sophie Sharon and Christelle Pandanzyla, a serial entrepreneur and event manager.
You can watch the discussion here (37').
For those who are short on time, I have synthesised my view on power dressing below:
Tips on how to dress for success in finance
- Wear something you feel comfortable in, physically and psychologically. Similarly to Amy Cuddy's statement "how we hold our bodies, can have an impact on our minds", I do believe that this holds true for how we dress as well.
- Create your own style, your own signature look. In German, there is a saying "Kleider machen Leute" or "Clothes make people". Your wardrobe is an expression of who you are, it should be in line with your personality - make it unique.
- Invest in high-quality sophisticated pieces, your clothes will look better and will last longer, too.
- Adapt your attire for specific occasions. Ask yourself how do you want to be remembered?
- It is better to be a little overdressed than underdressed.
Even as an entrepreneur, these points have proven of value.